Early learners will love helping the planet Phoneme while boosting phonics skills too! Designed to prepare children for the National Curriculum year 1 Phonics Screening Check this challenge game helps children recognise nonsense words.
- Children fly their saucer and use the Super Suction feature to collect the astronaut and alien cards
- Pronounce the words on the back of the cards correctly in order to save them
- Astronaut cards show real words and Alien cards show nonsense words (words that are made up but phonetically plausible)
- Rescue the most to win!
- Space Mission: Nonsense Words includes:
- Four spaceships
- 110 game cards
- Activity guide
- Features multilingual packaging
What are nonsense words?
- Strings of letters that follow phonics rules taught in class, but don't mean anything
- Children need to read them with the correct sounds to show that they understand the phonics rules behind them
How to play
- The youngest player goes first and uses their spaceship to collect a card of their choice, pressing it down onto the card to seal the suction base
- Keeping the spaceship in place, the player turns it over to reveal a word on the reverse of the card
- If pronounced correctly, they get to keep it. If incorrect, the card gets placed back in play
- Play continues to the left
- The first player to collect three astronauts and three aliens wins!